Create your own magnetic optical density meter
We have created a working OD meter dedicated to the analysis of magneto-tactic bacteria, and invite you as a developer in an open source community.
- 100 Samples per second, allows precise analysis of the rotation speed of magnetic bacteria
- Three-dimensional quasi-Helmholtz configuration, with fields up to 3.5 mT and pulsed up to 13 mT.
- Three color LED: red: 645 nm, 1000 mcd, green: 520 nm, 1700 mcd and blue 460 nm, 500 mcd
- Power supply with current feedback to compensate for coil heating, cut-off frequency 200 Hz
- Split detector photodiode (sensitivity 0.5 mlx, with green LED theoretical max OD range of 5.8)
- Integrated pre-amplifier, SNR 83 dB (max OD range 4.0).
- Dedicated 16-bit ADS1115 DA converter
- Integrated temperature sensor
- Reference light detector
- Scattered light detector
- Fully programmable (Arduino Mega)
- Internet link (e.g. Raspberrypi)
The sources we have available are:
- Measurement head design, 3D print file (OpenSCAD, on Thingiverse)
- Electronic diagrams (KiCAD)
- PCB layout (Eagle)
- Laser cut pattern for housing electronics (DXF)
- Arduino program code (.ino, on Github)
- Matlab program to analyse datafiles, with GUI (will be on Gitlab)
For now, mail us if you are interested. We are preparing for repositories to share the source with the community.
How to join